2017/04/25

Today, I believe in the power of me

Today I believe in the power of me  
Over at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge this month we have been challenged to discover our super power or convey a super power you wish you would have. I have thought about it and while I am a fan of all the super heroes comics and movies (my faves being X-men and fave character would be Phoenix), I decided not to portrait a Sci-Fi wish like telekinesis or being able to fly with my own wings (of which either would be cool!) but rather something very human and real but sometimes quite a challenge to obtain, so much so that when you have it, it's a super power on its own. I am talking about confidence which leads to having the power of believing in yourself. And I made a 7x7 cotton art panel to help me remind myself of this fact.

  Today I believe in the power of me
I started off my gluing down left over pieces I have on my desk and in junk boxes (or as Lynn aptly calls then 'TOVERS - which in Dutch actually means 'to make something appear out of nothing- magic' so I really love the words she uses for her super power ability and will borrow her word for this post :) And when the 'tovers are all glued down, I put in a light wash of gesso over it to prime it for the next stage and dull out the back ground tones.

Today I believe in the power of me
I then placed the stencil from Clarity over it, seedling pods, got some Liquitex muted acrylics in violet and turquoise and dabbed that through it with a make up sponge. When I took the stencil off I traced the lines with a white posca marker to get sharper edges and stamped Hera from Carabelle studio on it for placement.

Today I believe in the power of me
I had stamped Hera on marker paper and colored her in with Letraset Promarkers, cut her out and adhered her to the piece with soft matte gel medium. Hera was chosen because of the style she is made, a comic book line drawing, also to give an hommage to the comic book artists out there, like Brett Weldele :)

Today I believe in the power of me
The process after that was fairly organic, I drew in more hair lines with posca black marker and a home made liquitex gold marker (I used a Dahler and Rowney empty mixed media pen and filled it with liquitex gold ink) and black and white splatter with post posca pens.

Today I believe in the power of me
You can see how the gold strands of hair a lot better here. Now the whole piece comes together with the following stamp from Vivs las VegaStamps! and is the title of this post.

  Today I believe in the power of me
Today I believe in the power of me stamp is designed by cat Kerr. Such a beautiful and inspiring sentiment that is! I did something bold and directly stamped this sentiment on the neck/shoulder of Hera (instead of using other papers and placing over what I usually do) and it succeeded in looking like a tattoo! I colored it in with some alcohol markers and left it like that.

Today I believe in the power of me

This is how the final piece looks after I edged it with a black marker. 
Framed and on my wall

And now it hangs in our hallway where I can look upon this reminder every time I walk past it. 

Thanks for the inspiration MMMC!

I would also like to enter this in the following challenges:

STAMPlorations April Mixed Media Challenge

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day!


6 comments:

  1. That's just AMAZING! I love it! Thank you very much for sharing this and the steps of it's progress with us over at Moo Mania & More!
    Happy Day!
    oso Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the sentiment behind this piece and thank you for showing how you built up the layers. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is breathtaking, wonderful artwork

    Thank you for Joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love doing tovers for my background, thanks for teaching me the Dutch word I learnt from you. This is really a superb project and loving the confidence you have for it. I couldn't agree more with the power of believing in yourself, well said Cheetarah! Thanks so much for playing along with us at STAMPlorations April Mixed Media Challenge :)
    Hugs and smiles,
    Asmah
    STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
    Qinaahana Arts & Crafts {My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful background and the finished image looks great, I like it much.
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the vibrant colors - thanks for sharing your project at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read them all and they are very much appreciated ❤

GDPR law EU disclaimer: please be aware that if you leave a comment on any post on this blog that your name and blog link will visible (if you have set it on public) to all who visit this blog.
By publishing the comment, you agree that you publish own personal details on this blog and are in consent of sharing that publicly.