2017/07/19

WIP: the ongoing struggle of an inkophile

Inksample palooza - managed to cut down to 3 trays, yay!

Yes friends, take a good look at my desk in all its messy glory. To some this might be a nightmare, but for me it's a victory. First let me explain what you see here, though for fountain pen people visiting my blog, this is a familiar sight. These are test tube vials filled with fountain pen ink. Samples of ink which were either bought at various pen sites (the main one being Goulet Pens Co.) or swapped/given to me by friends. Yes, there are thousands different ink colors of there by hundreds of different brands. It can get overwhelming, to choose a color to buy a full bottle in. Where to begin and where to stop? Having a sample of an ink you are interested in does help. You can swatch them out, see if it is the shade of color you like, if it has sheen or if it's waterproof... but even a small vial of 2-3 ml of ink (times 50 per tray) has proven to be hard to fully use up. And for a hoarder like me, it's a tough challenge. But I am slowly getting there, with the help of Konmari this year.  From 6 full trays a few years ago and to now 3 is a victory! Let me tell you, it felt soooo goood to decommission that ink tray, I had to photograph and share this momentous occasion with my fellow deskers at WOYWW this week :) So plan is to keep using up those ink vials either in my art work or in my fountain pens, of course. For instance the ink below was sent to me years ago by a dear friend.

A new way of seeing things... This pink though, you need 😎 as it's so bright!  #mindfulmusings #quoteoftheday #FPN #FPGeeks #fountainpennetwork #seaglass #neonpink #privatereserve #roserage #handwritten #handwriting #dailywriting #dailyinspirat

Last week I made an art journal with this quote from a stamp and I had to write it down in my Stalogy B6 which I use for quotes. I hardly ever buy pink inks, but they are fun to enjoy once in a while. This Rose rage is a super powerful shade of pink and fun to use in my new pen from Herbert Pen Company. I know I won't be buying a full bottle of this ink but it's an on going struggle of an inkophile, not to continuously buy more and not use what you have. I am trying to be better at that. 
By the way, the work aria of my desk now is cleared of the trays 

What are you struggling to use up in your stash?

Thanks for stopping by and check out more desk stories at Julia's blog this week and play along if you want :) 

Have a great day!  


24 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of ink! I love your hand lettering! Have a creative week! zsuzsa #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zsuzsa, Thanks for commenting here and your compliments! I love visiting your blog and seeing your gorgeous work, the found poetry page you shared today is wonderful! I am sad I can't comment because I don't have a google plus account and I don't want yet another social media account I won't use. So that is why I am replying to you here and will email you :) Have a wonderful week! xo Cheetarah WOYWW #22
      Contemplations of a Kitty

      Delete
  2. I love working with a fountain pen, but I use either a dip pen or pre-filled cartridges - I make such a mess otherwise!
    Happy WOYWW :)
    Claire, no. 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never knew there were that many colours of fountain pen ink. Good luck in your quest to use up the colours you have! Sarah #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharah, thanks so much for your visit! Yes, the fountain pen inks is a rabbit hole you can really get lost in! I went by your blog and wanted to comment but I am not on Google plus. Just wanted you to know, I love your art journal page and the orchard is so beautiful! Have a wonderful week! xo Cheetarah WOYWW #22
      Contemplations of a Kitty

      Delete
  4. Teehee. You really do enjoy ink, don't you?! Lots to peep at there on your desk today.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great desk and explanation regarding quantity of inks - you've reminded me that I haven't done my glass nibbed dip pen justice despite having had it for months (Hangs head in shame).

    Happy WOYWW

    Kathyk
    #10

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You have ink like I have ink pads for stamping! LOL! Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
    Carol N #26

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous pen... you should set them all out to display for us deskers so we can drool over your collection :)
    Have a great day! :)
    Bubbles #5
    https://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/woyww-424.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous lettering! the pen is gorgeous! Helen #7

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huge fountain pen fan too but I don't have that amazing selection of inks, more's the pity! That saying is beautiful, I must remember it. Your calligraphy is gorgeous, you have a real flow to the letters :-D
    Hugs LLJ 4 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, that is a LOT of ink! I am a tad jealous! I only have two fountain pens and one base that I can change out the nubs with and I soooo want to learn how to be creative with these guys! I love water color and I want to incorporate the two, but I am a TOTAL NOVICE! I watch vids and marvel at the craft of doing art with these beautiful instruments! It will probably never get beyond play, but I enjoy it! I love, love your logo art and assume you did it with your inks...just beautiful! Have a great week! Blessings, Felicia #32

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that inky yumminess makes one happy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the calligraphy and the quote ... and what a lot of inks you have on your desk. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. Have a good week. Hazel WOYWW 12 x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing inks! I struggle to control my bead and wool stashes. Will gets shunted upstairs if it's not something I'll use soon. Have a great week, hugs Lynne #20

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ink 'problem' matches my 12 x12 patterned paper problem. Seriously I have stopped buying it at all until Ive used a good portion of it. It's so easy to buy! You're right about the pink, it's wonderful and strong and looks marvellous. I suppose a few ml of ink goes quite a long way...I wonder how many words you've written in how many colours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we are all guilty of hoarding something, I know I am! Thanks for the visit to mine and have a great WOYWW, Angela x9x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool to see a calligraphy pen sitting on your desk. I have taken 4 calligraphy classes in the past two months. I think it is beautiful, but not sure I will stick with using it. I like lower case letters better than upper case. My last class is tomorrow night. Congrats on your clean out. I have also been ruthlessly clearing out. It does make you feel good.
    April #21

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lot of ink! I love your writing!

    Have a great day!
    Diane #19

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I'm late to return your visit. I had to put away my quilts yesterday to do several urgently needed sewing jobs...i shortened an evening dress made 3 School Memory bears and shorten the sleeves on a gents suit jacket all left to the last minute and all needed for today! Thankfully I got it all done and can now catch up with my blogs.
    That's an impressive amount of inks and what beautiful writing....I love using a fountain pen.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #8

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous inks there, I'm a lover of inks of all variety, and used to love using fountain pens but they regularly clogging drives me to not continue to, you need to keep them in use. Well done on culling, my crafty hoarding is dies... keep buying more sigh.. not much else, my sisters do clothes console myself with their frequent purchases as end up with them which is fun! They've good taste. 😁
    Thanks so much for your great desky share.
    Happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz.x #13

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wondered what all the little bottles were -- inks! I bought a fountain pen but I need to get a smaller nib. Oh bother! I will be going through my craft supplies and that means a big organization session(s).
    I'm visiting late this week!! Today is my last day on the job and I'm taking advantage!
    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs, Kay (28)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous rose pink, love it, thanks for visiting me BJ#16

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooh that is a LOT of ink! I write with a fountain pen for work and never really thought about using coloured in for journaling in my fountain pen-off to research, thanks for the idea.
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read them all and they are very much appreciated ❤

GDPR law EU disclaimer: please be aware that if you leave a comment on any post on this blog that your name and blog link will visible (if you have set it on public) to all who visit this blog.
By publishing the comment, you agree that you publish own personal details on this blog and are in consent of sharing that publicly.