2015/01/02

the art of letter writing...


I started writing letters when I was 13 years old. Over the years I had over a 100 different pen pals from 30+ different countries. There was nothing more exciting then to receive a long letter from a friend from overseas. I kept on writing letters until well in my mid to late 20s and then I just abruptly stopped. I couldn't find the time anymore, to sit down a write a 'proper' letter. And with the digital era making it easier to connect with friends through Facebook, twitter, flickr, messenger and what not, writing a letter seemed redundant... but recently I've really stared to miss it. 



In my teens I used to have a huge fountain pen collection. Waterman, Pelikan, Sheaffer, Parker, no name brands, calligraphy points, etc.. you name it, I had it. When I moved out all of my stuff from my parental home, I kept only my Sheaffer fountain calligraphy pen and nibs, all the rest I gave to my niece whom I also stimulated to write letters, but unfortunately that didn't take any hold either as she then donated them to a thriftstore. I really wonder now what happened to my old pens, who has them & if they are enjoying them as much as I used to do. I can only hope that they found the thrill of excitement as I did when I walked in my local art store and found these gems; 

Osmiroid Calligraphy pen nibs


I only found the 'rola' nibs there (they were sold for 2,50 € each - such a steal!) and then did research on the brand and found someone on Marktplaats (Dutch 'Craigslist') selling the unopened vintage sets! Of course I had to have those, old love does die hard after all ;) So I ended up with these complete sets;

(more info on osmiroid fountain pens)

The pelikan ink cartridges I still have a lot of, so I was happy to find out that they fit in the pen nibs perfectly. But I'm really happy the calligraphy set has a ink converter also, because when I came across this gorgeous blue color ink, caribbean blue by Caran d'Ache at the fountain pen store in Amsterdam (Akkerman) well, I just couldn't leave it there, now could I? ;) 


Using this italic nib and gorgeous color, I was excited to sit down and write a letter to a dear old friend of mine, Ashley P., who decided she missed writing letters too and wrote me a letter not so long ago! It was wonderful receiving a genuine letter again in the mailbox! It also felt so good again to pick up a fountain pen, some stationary (which I also collected over the years) and just write away (the letter ended up being 20 pages long!!). I hope to re-connect with some long lost pen pals, and make good use of these band new vintage tools of mine :) 

Have you had any pen pals? Do you still hand write letters? 
You might love this blog then too The Letter Writers Alliance  
If you have a fountain pen in your drawer somewhere and are inspired to use it again
join the monthly fountain pen pal swap hosted by Betsy Preston on Swapbot. 
I'm excited to start writing mine :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read them all and they are very much appreciated ❤

GDPR law EU disclaimer: please be aware that if you leave a comment on any post on this blog that your name and blog link will visible (if you have set it on public) to all who visit this blog.
By publishing the comment, you agree that you publish own personal details on this blog and are in consent of sharing that publicly.